Copyright © 2014 Chichester Memorial Hall, Sandgate, Kent - All Rights Reserved.

Site created by Jan Holben. Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content

Home About Us To Hire History Contact Us
The Chichester Hall

About the Hall and the Clock


The hall, in constant use as a village hall and social centre, was built by public subscription in memory of the Countess of Chichester, widow of the fourth Earl.


The foundation stone was laid by Sir Squire Bancroft, the actor-manage in 1913, and the building was officially opened on June 10th, 1914.

The clock, erected in 1897 to celebrate the jubilee of Queen Victoria, originally hung over the Gough Coffee Tavern near by. It was moved to the Chichester Hall in 1913 and renovated by public subscription in 1981 and again in 2009 when it was clear that significant work needed to be done as the clock casing and importantly the brackets which hold the clock to the front wall had sustained considerable weather damage causing corrosion to all external metal parts.

Fronting the Chichester Hall the Jubilee Clock celebrates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Initially, it adorned the Gough coffee Tavern and Soldiers' Institute nearby, named after John Bartholomew Gough (b.1917). He was a local boy who emigrated to the USA, became a reformed alcoholic and a world famous temperance orator. The Freemasons' Hall and an antique shop now occupy the site.

The clock was later moved to the Village Hall, built in memory of the Countess of Chichester (of Enbrook).

L/Cpl William Cotter VC

As you enter the hall a memorial plaque recounts the heroism of L/Cpl William Cotter, awarded a posthumous VC in 1916.

This man’s actions in the face of the enemy were so outstanding that he was awarded the  highest decoration for valour in the field of battle, the Victoria Cross.





Funding had been raised to get the clockwork mechanism and gearing working again and Clock Repairer Mr John Carpenter completed this work towards the end of 2009. Trustee Richard Grundy undertook the refurbishment of Clock housing and brackets so that the total cost remained within budget.




Dec 09. The work to the Clock has been completed and the Clock was replaced and is now working. Pictures below show damage to the Clock. The final six pictures show the refurbished Clock - now in place and working.

In the matter of the Charity called The Chichester Memorial Hall, at Sandgate, in the County of Kent, regulated by a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners of the 19th June 1990; and In the matter of the Charities Act 1960.




THE CHARITY COMMISSIONERS FOR ENGLAND AND WALES HEREBY ORDER that the following Scheme be approved and established:-




S C H E M E: Sub-clause (1) of clause 3 of the above-mentioned Scheme of the 19th June 1990 shall have effect as if immediately after the words "area of the former Urban District of Sandgate" there were inserted the words "and the area of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Sandgate as constituted on the 1st February 1918". Sealed by Order of the Commissioners this 4th day of March 1991.

REGISTERED CHARITY 802173

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.”