The Old Fire Station
A horse-drawn fire engine provided by public subscription, and manned by a volunteer fire brigade, was kept in this 'Fire Engine House', built in 1883-84 by the Misses Reilly of Encombe. The panelled room above was at one time a reading room and later the Council Chamber of the Sandgate Urban District Council, and housed the public library from 1934 until 1982.
The Sandgate Heritage Trust Ltd. was formed in 1983, after a public appeal for funds, to buy the building from Kent Country Council. The Sandgate Society occupies the ground floor by agreement with the Trust.
The Sandgate Heritage Trust is the legal owner and guardian of the Old Fire Station. Its only income derives from the rent of the Engine Room and from the hire of the beautiful Reading Room for group meetings and events. This barely covers maintenance, while short and long term repairs require additional finance.
As a registered charity, it welcomes support in the form of donations, covenants, gift-aid and legacies. Further information can be obtained by writing to: The Sandgate Heritage Trust Ltd., 51 Sandgate High Street. Sandgate. Nr Folkestone, CT20 3AH