in constant use as a village hall and social centre, was built by
public subscription in memory of the Countess of Chichester, widow
of the fourth Earl.
The foundation stone was laid by
Sir Squire Bancroft, the actor-manager, and the building was
officially opened on June 10th, 1914. The clock, erected in 1897 to
celebrate the jubilee of Queen Victoria, originally hung over
the Gough Coffee Tavern near by.
It was moved to the Chichester
Hall in 1913 and renovated by public subscription in 1981.