SANDGATE – SHIPBUILDING – SHIPWRECKS
Sandgate was first noted as Sandy Gate in the 13th Century as a Guard post, but it’s history really began in 1539 when Henry the eighth built the Castle as one of a chain of defences along with Walmer-Deal-Sandown and Camber to defend the coast from the Spanish.
The accounts for the building of the Castle are held in the British Museum and show that it was built mainly using the stone from demolished Priories, particularly from St. Radigunds in Dover. In addition, they used 147,000 bricks, the total cost was £5544. It was never attacked except by the sea which has done a great deal of damage to it over the centuries. Elizabeth 1 visited on 25th August 1573.
To read more about this item follow this link to go to the Sandgate Society website.